Saturday, July 3, 2010

Oh, I make messes...

Holy cupcake fail yesterday...it's a recipe I've used before that I tweaked to my own specifications and it's turned out every time.  Yesterday?  Not so much.  The cupcakes tasted really good, but had more of a spongecake like texture and a crustier top.  Weird.  Oh well...I set them aside to figure out what to do with them.  What did I end up making?  Well, they were mango margarita cupcakes...so I made mini mango margarita trifles with pastry cream and a blueberry and mango tequila reduction. 

Holy omg goodness.  I did a layer of the cake, then tequila infused mango puree, then a layer of the pastry cream (which I made with orange liquor), then more cake and mango puree.  It needed more color...too yellow and orangeish.  So I put a cup of mango tequila in a saucepan along with about 4 tablespoons of sugar, threw in a cup of fresh blueberries and let that cook down.  I drizzled it on the trifle and it suddenly became GORGEOUS.  I figure tomorrow, I'll finish the mini cups off with a dollop of whipped cream along with a drink umbrella and they'll be perfect for the 4th of July festivities.  
Drew tried one, said it was AMAZING.  He called me a savant.  HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment